Thursday, May 5, 2011

Wk1 Comment #1 to Ann Cannizzaro

Response to Post from Ann Cannizzaro
 I too have had many copyright cringe moments at the photocopier as I try to put together work for students and thankfully most copies are okay but there are those times when I've looked over my shoulder to check who's watching. I'd like to think that if I made something the people who used it would at least give me credit for it. (Making money from it would be nice too) I also appreciate the information we have received from Full Sail and would like to continue my education in this topic to make sure that I, and my colleagues are doing all we can to be, not just fair to the creators of the materials, but legally just in our dealings as well.

Original post from Ann Cannizzaro
http://ann-cannizzaro.blogspot.com/2011/05/week1readingcopyright.html


I appreciate this opportunity to learn more about copyright law and the issues that are pending with the advancing technology and access to media works.  It seems that as a society, we tend to do things in whatever way is convenient until we are made to do otherwise.  I think this is true about copyright law.  Historically, the author or owner of a work had to be the watchdog over a work, trying to “catch” anyone using it illegally.  A civil suit would be the means of reclaiming any use or damages done.  This is not a preventative measure.  Rather, it is punitive.  Unfortunately, it’s often more punitive for the copyright holder than it is for the perpetrator.
Photo courtesy of iStockphoto, Image# 5271774








As a public school teacher, I have considered copyright laws on many occasions as I stand at the Xerox machine copying workbook pages and activities for my students.  At times, I have decided that what I didn’t know wouldn’t hurt me or anyone else.  At other times, I have tried to limit my Xeroxing and pay more attention to copyright notices on my educational materials.  As it turns out, much of what I copy is allowed for classroom instruction.  Thank Goodness!

I have faced the issue of copyright again, while attending Full Sail University.  I have incrementally added to my knowledge and awareness of copyright issues and laws.  However, that “ocean of grey” still looms before me as I try to pick and choose images and ideas, as well as music, for my production pieces.  I am earnest in wanting to learn more specific information.  As an instructor, trying to promote 21st century skills for learning, I need to be ready to help my students understand copyright, and how they can work within it’s confines, to be creative and productive in their learning endeavors.

I appreciate the ads I see now on DVD previews that are aimed at kids, to begin educating them about copyright and the issues with piracy and sharing.  It’s true that the media industry wants to prevent the illegal copying of music and video.  However, technology allows for instant access and sharing that is yet unregulated in many venues.

The film “Good Copy/Bad Copy” brings up some interesting points.  The U.S. Motion Picture Artists Association (MPAA) has an interest in stopping piracy due to a projected monetary loss of up to $6 billion dollars each year.  However, worldwide markets are an open venue for pirated media.  There will never be enough resources to stop piracy.  Rather, the industry needs to educate people about the rights and respect due to the intellectual property holders and creators.  An intrinsic incentive may come to reign at some time in our future.  The nature of technology and open and immediate access to material will require a new focus.  Laws will need to be developed that protect intellectual property rights and provide for media authorship, while promoting a creative and cultural vision for the people.

Lawrence Lessig, representing Creative Commons, argues that copyright laws “are so expansive and complex” that they will inhibit creativity.  The idea behind creative commons is that an artist can choose to what extent and in what manner, another person may “use” their work to produce something “new”.  The work is licensed for use by others.  This is a legal means of building positive relationships between producers and users of intellectual property.  Still, I found the remarks made by Ronaldo Lemos, a professor of law in Brazil, very telling.  The more recent changes to copyright laws have been made to protect industry giants primarily from North America (remember the MPAA?).  His understanding of the intent of the laws is to “prevent society from becoming the producer of culture in itself and for itself”.  I’m not surprised that big business wants to have the authority to determine how copyright law evolves.
http://www.rastervector.com/page3_blog_entry130...ht.jpg

All of this is very interesting food for thought.  My husband wants to be able to protect his rights to a family history he is writing.  My son wants to protect his rights with regards to his photography.  I hope to be the go to person when the time comes to decide how to share, show, or publish their work.  Educate me!


Copyright Images from Google Images.

No comments:

Post a Comment