Sunday, May 15, 2011

Wk2 Free Blog - Publishing / Presentation - #1a Some Devine Intervention


Okay. So I’ve decided to go the presentation route rather than the paper. (Chances are I’ll probably end up doing both eventually.) But where do I start? I haven’t really done much of any workshop type presentations before.
Being a God fearing, church going kind of a guy this question was all that was in my head as I sat in the pews this morning (not really a good thing) when all of a sudden the lights came streaming through the window onto the pulpit. The light! So I’ve grown up with several fine (and not so fine) examples of the art of presentation in front of me and I never realized it.
Okay then; time to get critical. Firstly the pastor spends quite a bit of time studying his content from different books (he does a lit review every week?!) to put together a coherent and consistent message. He usually puts in some anecdotes about personal experiences to make the message more real and connected to everyday life. He always starts with a great opening statement. Hey, so does Steve Jobs. After all that he prepares a PowerPoint presentation (not too much word content and some good visuals – I wonder if he got permission to use that picture?) to accompany his message and ties it up with a great conclusion.
Hmm, this sounds familiar. I think it’s time to open up the Presentation Zen book again and recap what we have learned. It’s funny when you come to the realization that everything you need you have actually learned in this course already. It just went by so fast we should probably spend the next year revisiting each course topic again just to make sure it stuck somewhere inside.
Okay then, let’s get this show on the road!

1 comment:

  1. "It just went by so fast we should probably spend the next year revisiting each course topic again just to make sure it stuck somewhere inside."

    This is a very common sentiment. As a grad myself, I still surprised myself with how much I retained, even with the frantic pace. I realized that because the info/lessons were relevant and meaningful to what I do (and what I want to do) there was no way I was letting them go.

    When you think about how much you've learned, it's even crazier to think there's a whole bunch of A-HAs still inside you that will pop out and surprise you for years to come.

    ReplyDelete