Saturday, May 28, 2011

Wk4 Comment #1 to Ann Cannizzaro



The We in action

Original post from Ann Cannizzaro

This week’s reading from The Art of Possibility, by Benjamin and Rosamund Zander puts the reader on an inward journey.  The reader is gently pushed to consider the truth, of how events, actions, and relationships out in “the world”, are perceived and connected to one’s self.  We are meant to reconsider our own perspective and look further inward at how our thoughts color our own attitudes and actions.
Taking on the “being the board” stance will definitely take some practice and getting used to.  It means taking a greater responsibility over a wider area of influence.  Rather than looking out for #1, and towing the line, it emphasizes the need to go one step further to exact some change, an action or event, some greater participation.  It means making a commitment which one can often shrink away from doing.  Time and energy are factors that can limit one’s ability or inclination to participate in change.
The words of Barbara Waugh, of Hewlett Packard Laboratories, “start slow…and work small”, speak volumes to me.  My approach to change is just that…..think on a grand scale, and take baby steps toward the goal.  Sweeping change is too overwhelming and frightening for people.  I’d much rather build successive steps that maintain the foundation, while rising bit by bit, upwards to the possibilities that change can bring.
As I read these final chapters, I remembered the quote by Marianne Williamson before it appeared in the text.  It was reassuring to see that my mind is already in the realm of possibility.  The line that speaks most strongly to me is this: “Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure…”.  Somehow, I feel that I have held myself back, for fear of not being good enough to realize my potential.  This book has pushed me to work my way through those feelings of insecurity and continue, steadfast, on the journey. 

Response to Ann Cannizzaro
That line by Marianne Williamson struck home to me as well. I tend to be a wallflower and, even if others say how good I am at things, I live in constant fear that some one will tell me I’m garbage. (How fascinating I say now!) I took that being the board thing on this week and it has made quite a difference. Taking blame out of any misfortune is quite difficult but so relieving. It actually gives you power to walk away from things without the need for justification of an opinion. I too think that the biggest thing that comes from this book is the shift away from self to a more We focused vision of the world that, in many respects, contradicts the way we have been and are continuing to be raised by this world. Now if we all could do this the world might look quite different.

No comments:

Post a Comment