Saturday, May 21, 2011

Wk3 Free Blog - Publish/Presentation #2 Consideration of the "where"


 Could it be that bad?


I tend to think of my AR project as a starting place for a more in-depth study and something I’d like to develop over time. It’s a good start but now I want to get on with cycle 3. I suppose the bird has to learn how to fly at some point so I had better be ready so here goes.  (It’s strange though. I’ve played in front of 5,000 people before and not cracked a sweat but the thought of this has got me having nightmares!)
For my first choice, the presentation route, the two conferences I tended to lean towards were;

The Alabama Educational Technology Conference
I chose this conference because, having looked at last years list of speakers, they had a few speakers who had presented on similar topics. I didn’t see very much there on applications for a presenter so I sent them an email to find out more for the 2012 session as the 2011 one is on in mid June.

The Georgia Technology Conference
Similar to the one above applications to present are due in September for the November conference. I’m not sure that I can stretch out my presentation to an hour though! One thing I do like is that presenters are encouraged to produce audience materials/handouts electronically which they then put on line on their own wiki for use during the conference. Very cool!

I also decided to have a look at my options carefully, starting with my back-up plan of publishing. One thing I noticed about pretty much all these publications is that they do not want you to have your work being considered for any other journal and that’s going to make it difficult to get your work out there in a timely fashion. So much for the machine gun approach to getting your work published. The two journals that, if I went this route later on, seemed to match my ARP well were;

Journal of Educational Technology and Society
Initially I chose this journal as its aims were focused on helping teachers understand the use of technology to benefit classroom instruction. This matched well with my AR project of using iPads in an elementary literacy program. The author guidelines were quite comprehensive and prescriptive and the length of 4000-7000 words made me wonder if it was possible with my project.

Journal of Educational Computing Research (Baywood Publishing)
This journal had no comment on the size of the article, only the abstract that made it more inviting. Their description of who-they-are referred to their desire to print articles about trends in technology/computers in education, which seems to fit with my AR project as well.



1 comment:

  1. "It’s strange though. I’ve played in front of 5,000 people before and not cracked a sweat but the thought of this has got me having nightmares!" - Again... it's that comfort level with music Peter. Think of how many hours of practice went into that performance. With a few run-throughs of your AR material, your presentation will become second-nature.

    One thing... don't forget about the Florida Educational Technology conference here in Orlando... If you presented here, you would have an audience full of supportive EMDT faculty!

    ReplyDelete