Saturday, October 16, 2010

PE1_Google Docs-document


So after Rena kept saying that it might be a good idea to look into the Google documents because we are going to be concentrating on that next month I thought I had best heed her timely advise. In this post I’m going to take a look at the documents.
Cybergroup, the team that I was in for the first three months of group projects at Full Sail, had used Google Docs quiet effectively, mainly for scripting purposes, and I had seen how powerful the concept was. I remember watching invisible hands revising text before my eyes while I too was editing on another part of the document. I have to admit to it being a little ghostly in character but very simple and easy to use.  I was very fortunate in that we had David Burch in the group who mostly put the initial documents together so I didn’t get too many chances to create one myself.



So where does one start? The great thing about Google is that they always provide helpful resources to get things started so, one click and I’m into the Google docs help page. 


From there it’s simple to get a new document up and running. Create new document and choose document.
Once in the untitled document, it looks and feel just like any other word processor. Font, spacing insert pictures, it’s all there.  The cool thing about this one is the sharing button. Here you can sign up others to share the document giving them certain privileges to either look or edit.


In this picture I have uploaded my references list and, once I have shared this with my AR friends they can add any references they might think pertinent to the topic. When I’m done I can download this file back to Word or a text format of my choosing. There is nothing in this that cannot be done with Word or Pages but the fact that you can share this interactively with a team is the real beauty of it. Also, if you are hard up for funds and can't afford a word processor, this is free!
Okay, next step, the presentation document.

No comments:

Post a Comment