Saturday, October 23, 2010

PE6b_Garageband-Midi files

I just added this post to give you an idea of the power that you have in front of you right now. This was my set-up back in the late80s, early 90s. 


I would play my main keyboard and, depending on which keyboard or sound module I had selected the sound would be triggered through the computer. The program I used would save each stroke as a Midi event with information like the speed I hit the key and if I moved a dial or changed a sound. I could then manipulate the performance exactly the same way we do now in Garageband (looks exactly the same).


The power and ability of everything you see here (and more) is now available to you in that thin little aluminum box you are staring at (and at about the same cost of one of those keyboards) and it only took twenty years to get to it. With the rate of change that we're experiencing at the moment I wonder what it will look like in another twenty years. (Now apply that to your classroom. Food for thought)
PS. I made the chart with Google Draw! (PE5) Also, if you have a look at my last post you will notice that the blue keyboard to the left of the picture above is the keyboard I now have as a computer plug-in on Garageband. Now I better get that last video done!

No comments:

Post a Comment